- Medscape- drug reference, drug interaction checker, and specialty-specific news and updates.
- Black Bag- news feeds, journal summaries, conference coverage, podcasts, and newscasts on different categories.
- Epocrates RX- drug information, formulary, pill identifiers, drug interaction checker, medical calculators, clinical updates, and research articles.
- Eponyms (for students)- brief description of more than 1700 medical eponyms, search feature, and learn mode.
- ABG- medical calculator for ABG analysis and other hemodynamic computations.
- MedCalc- free medical calculator with enhanced user interface.
- Medical Encyclopedia- relevant information on diseases, injuries, symptoms, different types of surgery, poisons, and laboratory tests.
- WebMD Mobile- trusted medical information on demand
- Skeletal System (Head and Neck)- great graphics and illustrations with smooth zoom in/zoom out function.
- Skyscape Medical Resources- useful information on OTC and prescription medications.
Early this week, Pinoy R.N. released an article entitled 10 Free Nursing Apps iPhone and iPod Touch. There are more than 100 free medical applications available at the iTunes store but just like everybody else, we have our favorites. Here then is our list of free medical apps for nurses and other healthcare professionals.
All the above-mentioned nursing/medical apps are very easy to use and are designed to help nurses and student nurses deliver efficient, quality, and timely patient care. Users are reminded, however, that medical applications are not meant to substitute critical thinking and a good clinical eye so be responsible when using these applications.